I have been reading a lot about Taiwan and the people from there!!! So, I thought I would share a new thought everyday with you!!! The paragraph below is all about the language they speak. WOW....is all I have to stay!!! They must be trying to teach them (or some of them) the English language or at least the basic of our language. In some of the pictures they sent us there is English on the walls of the nursery where the are living!!! I will have to scan some to show you just what I mean!!! The pictures are very interesting. They have so many children that need to be adopted and we could see them in our pictures of the boys!!! It is so sad to us. I know I will want to come home with all of them!!!
This should be interesting......lol
About 80% of the people in Taiwan belong to the Hoklo (Chinese: 福佬; pinyin: fúlǎo; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Hok-ló) ethnic group and speak both Standard Mandarin (officially recognized by the ROC as the National Dialect) and Taiwanese (a variant of the Min Nan dialect spoken in Fujian province). Mandarin Chinese is the primary language of instruction in schools; however, most spoken media is split between Mandarin and Taiwanese. The Hakka (Chinese: 客家; pinyin: Kèjiā), about 15% of the population, have a distinct Hakka dialect. Aboriginal minority groups still speak their native languages, although most also speak Mandarin. English is a common second language, with many large private schools providing English instruction. English is compulsory in students' curriculum once they enter middle school. English is also featured on several of Taiwan's education exams.
Although Mandarin is still the language of instruction in schools and dominates television and radio, non-Mandarin dialects have undergone a revival in public life in Taiwan. A large fraction of the populace speak the Taiwanese dialect, a variant of Min Nan spoken in southern Fujian, China, and a majority understand it. Many also speak Hakka. People educated during the Japanese period of 1900 to 1945 used Japanese as the medium of instruction. Some in the older generations only speak the Japanese they learned at school and the Taiwanese they spoke at home and are unable to communicate with many in the modern generations who only speak Mandarin.
Most aboriginal groups in Taiwan have their own languages which, unlike Taiwanese or Hakka, do not belong to the Chinese language family, but rather to the Austronesian language family.
Friday, October 24, 2008
In My Quest to know our boys better....part 1
Posted by Shelly Marie at 3:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




6 comments:
wow is right, we will all be busy trying to figure out what the boys want. I am sure they will adapt quick, kids are amazing. YOU ALL will do so good, you are amazing people.
I think we have the best family in the whole wide world.
Love you
Mom
lol, I think you better learn the words "No" in their language and "I love you."
wow, how daunting, I am sure the kids will pick up quickly though
I sure do hope so!!! If they don't we are in a lot of trouble!!! =) lol
No you aren't Shelly. Dave and I have friends that speak their language and they will help! Ed and Joy are christians also!!My friend Lily is a buddist.
Thanks Aunt Vicki!!! I am sure we will need them!!! lol =)
I am with Leah learn no and I love you! :) You guys are going to be great with the boys...look how sweet little Brooke turned out! Can't wait to see you guys soon!
Post a Comment