For those of you who may not have heard, we had to put Duke down yesterday. He had been sick off and on since we got him a week ago, but had gotten progressively worse on Monday. When I came home from work Monday night, Duke was very sick and very weak. Jay decided to take him in to the Animal Hospital in Flint (not a very good area) and see what they could figure out.
Long story short, Duke tested positive for Parvo, which is a very fatal disease for dogs. Jason considered bringing him home and trying to spend the money and nurse him to health, but the vets didn't give us very good odds to make that happen. Jay decided to put him to sleep and went to pay because he didn't really want to be there to see it. As he left, Duke jumped down and went right to Jason's leg and just looked at him. So Jay took him back in the examination room and held him as the vet administered the shot. Jay said it was very peaceful for the dog, and after he was gone Jay laid him down on the examination table, closed his eyes and covered him up. It has been a very traumatic experience for everyone except for Brooklyn......who believes that Duke is in Heaven with Jesus playing catch!!!! =)
We cannot get a dog for 6 months because the virus could still be lingering around and that would be dangerous for a puppy. Additionally, we are praying that Maggie doesn't get sick. The vet said it is possible that Maggie could get it, but because she has had her shots and she is a little older she will hopefully be okay.





9 comments:
we are hoping so much that maggie does not get it! sorry, what a rough week for you guys!
We will ask God to protect Maggie...I know HE cares enough to do it.
Thanks Leah!!! I hope Maggie Sue is okay!!! She has a vet appointment on Wed at 5:30.
On a good note we did find a washer and dryer!!! Yea!!!
So sorry Shelly! I really hope Maggie doesn't get it too! I am glad you guys found a washer and dryer- I know you sounded thrilled yesterday to go looking. :) Love ya
We will keep praying for Maggie. Nice chatting with you today:).
Love you guys!
I'm so sorry shelly! YOu just broke my heart.
Thanks Aunt Vicki!!! He was sooo sick!! We felt so bad for him!! Poor puppy!!! We are just praying that Maggie Sue does not get sick. She has a fiver right now, but the vet thinks she has a cold. Hopefully that is all!! Love ya
I am praying for Maggie Sue and hope her fever goes away soon. Thanks for stopping over today and I am so excited to see your washer and dryer. Hopefully I will see you tomorrow too.
Hi Brooke
So sorry for you guys. I know it is very hard to have a dog put down. Hopefully Maggie will not get the virus. I love your new heading with the picture of Brooklyn. It is such a cute picture.
Shelly, I am sooo sorry about Duke! We love you all bunches!
xoxo
Sarah
Post a Comment